1.) EMAIL, FAX AND CALL EDUCATION COMMITTEE MEMBERS
(only if you have not yet done so post the 4/15 hearing)
Write or call and thank them for the questions and concerns they raised at the hearing. For talking points, focus on the issues brought up during the Education Committee hearing Q&A. You can reference the OKOC EdComminfo(1) document in our files for ideas. But please don’t worry too much about crafting the perfect letter or presenting the most succinct argument. Just write from your heart and send it of with a blessing! Remember to sign and put your address on your letters.
EMAIL addresses for Education Committee Senators:
Email – Under TO: put your email address.
Under “BCC” put the following email list:
FAX – Please only send your fax one time.
Senator Liu – (916) 651-4925
Senator Runner – (916) 651-4921
Senator Hancock – (916) 651-4909
Senator Leyva – (916) 651-4920
Senator Block – (916) 651-4939
Senator Mendoza – (916) 651-4932
Senator Vidak – (916) 651-4914
Senator Monning – (916) 651-4917
CALL – State your name and opposition and then thank them for seriously considering the many issues involved with SB 277 and ask them to please vote NO at the vote-only hearing on Wed 4/22.
Senator Liu – (916) 651-4025
Senator Runner – (916) 651-4021
Senator Block – (916) 651-4039
Senator Hancock – (916) 651-4009
Senator Leyva – (916) 651-4020
Senator Mendoza – (916) 651-4032
Senator Monning – (916) 651-4017
Senator Vidak – (916) 651-4014
2.) WITNESS THE VOTE
Attend the Vote-only Senate Education Committee hearing on Wed 4/22 at 9AM in Sacramento. Although there will be no testifying at this hearing, it is important that we maintain large numbers to show the committee that we will be relentless in the protection of our civil and parental rights!
3.) EMAIL AND FAX TO SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE FORMAL LETTERS OF OPPOSITION
Despite what happens tomorrow at the Education Committee, the deadline for formal letters of opposition for the Judiciary Committee is tomorrow at noon. This is only for the letters that may get included in the bill analysis (you will be able to send other letters to the individual Judiciary Committee Senators until the 27th). It is important for the Judiciary Committee on a whole to see how many people oppose SB 277.
1.) Please write a formal letter of opposition to the Judiciary Committee as an individual and fax it to: (916) 403-7394 OR email it to: email@example.com. This needs to be done by noon, Wed, April 22.
2.) If you are part of a group, PTO, church, another regional No on SB 277 group, OR any organization whatsoever that you can speak for, please write a second letter of opposition for the Judiciary Committee. Sign your name and address. Fax it to: (916) 403-7394 OR email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. This again needs to be done by noon, Wed, April 22.
Write what you’d like. The main thing is to state your opposition.
Here are some points you can include in your letters:
- Removes education as a right, (as explained by the California Constitution, Article 9, Section 5).
- Violates medical ethics, (as written in Opinion 8.08 of the American Medical Association).
- Removes freedom religion, (as declared by the California Constitution Declaration of Rights, Article 1, Section 4).
- Segregates a community and forcing them to unequal education, which the court in Brown v. Board of Education (1954, 1955) ruled that separate is not equal.
- Violates the “equal protection clause” of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
- Removes federally mandated rights of services to students with disabilities, (as indicated in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a federal law enacted under the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which ensures services to students with disabilities. IDEA also ensures a free and appropriate public education for these kids, or FAPE).
- Removes parental rights, (as stated in California’s constitution Declaration of Rights, Article 1, Section 3).
4.) SPREAD THE WORD
Keep reaching out to family, friends and community members! Lets help build the opposition base to SB 277!
5.) PRAY, PRAY, PRAY – ENVISION, ENVISION, ENVISION
Envision we are victorious. Envision that the Education Committee hears us and opposes SB 277.