SB 277 is UN-American and removes our civil and first amendment rights. SB 277 is a California Senate Bill that was passed on June 30, 2015. More information will be released over the next year. Please check the Take Action page for lists of groups to join for more up-to-date information.
Effects of SB 277
As passed, SB 277 requires all children under 18 years of age to be vaccinated with every mandated vaccine (currently 69 doses of 16 different vaccines) in order to reside in California and to attend any public or private school or daycare. This means that EVERY child, even those with autoimmune issues, previous vaccine-related injuries OR religious/philosophical exemptions, would have to have all mandatory vaccines in order to go to school, and would be required to receive ANY mandated vaccine in the future, which could include the hundreds of vaccines awaiting approval.
The effects of SB 277 will be severe. SB277:
- Removes the parents right to informed consent, giving government control of what they put into your child’s body.
- Removes your decision on a vaccination schedule. Your child will have to have EVERY vaccination mandated, including ALL new vaccines the government mandates in the future.
- Will force any child attending school with a VISA to get ALL mandated vaccines, even if the visiting child already has received vaccination, if they cannot procure proper documentation.
- Will force YOU to pay for these vaccines, even if you don’t want your child to have them.
- Removes all educational opportunities for children who have personal, medical, or religious beliefs against forced vaccination. Your child will not even be allowed to be home-schooled if you do not comply.
Why Vaccine Proponents Should Also Oppose Bills like SB277
Even people who do vaccinate are opposing SB 277 because:
- Teachers Losing Jobs: The potential job loss this means for teachers when thousands of children are pulled from school if SB277 passes. Do we want to see yet another blow to our teaching force?
- First Amendment Violations of Religious Freedom: Many families hold beliefs that animal cells, (egg and aborted fetal cell tissue, which are used in vaccine manufacturing), nor any vaccine, should be injected into their body. SB277 denies first amendment rights to those whose religious beliefs do not align with vaccination. If SB277 is approved, what other first amendment rights do we forego?
- Fiscal Impact: Keep in mind that in AB 2109 Senator Pan required consultation with a doctor before receiving a personal exemption. This law has been in effect for only one year, and in this time there has been a 20% reduction in parents seeking a personal exemption (opt out rate dropped from 3.15% to 2.5%). How much will it cost to enforce? How much will California lose? Shouldn’t this new law be enough in these fiscally challenging times?
- On Government’s Schedule: There are hundreds of thousands of kids receiving their vaccines on a schedule that is more spread out and works for the child/parent (and for their budget). However SB277 will even make these vaccine proponents have to align their schedule to the government’s.
- Who Is To Gain The Most?: Vaccine manufacturers aim to gain billions of dollars from SB277 passing. In fact, the pharmaceutical industry is the biggest defrauder of the federal government under the False Claims Act. In the last 5 years, $19.2 billion were returned from attempts to defraud federal health programs, more than double that of the previous 5 years (as of February 2014). In 8 years (2004-2012), there were twenty pharmaceutical company settlements in the $345 million to $3 billion range. 17 Criminal fines in the $100’s of millions are common, and have been as high as $1 billion. This is routine business practice. The manufacturer of the mumps vaccine is going to trial in two separate lawsuits for allegedly falsifying the efficacy rate of its mumps vaccine. One suit was filed by former employee-whistleblowers, the other by pharmaceutical competitors. If we can’t trust the vaccine manufacturers, then why should their products be made mandatory?
- Most People Are Vaccinating: Remember, most people in CA are vaccinating (there has been a 20% reduction rate in parents seeking personal exemption bringing it to only 2.5%).
- No Recent Deaths From Measles: There are about 30,000 vaccine-related injuries being reported annually and 108 deaths from measles vaccines in the US since 2004. Yet no deaths from the measles have been reported since 2000. In fact, 90-95% of 1900’s infectious disease decline preceded the vaccines.
- Adult Vaccines and Future Legislation: Even if you don’t have children, SB277 affects you. Vaccine proponents have been working to integrate mandatory vaccination for adults in our country with the National Adult Immunization Plan (NAIP). SB277 paves the way for mandatory adult vaccination laws. Again, SB277 affects our first amendment rights. Should government have control over our bodies and beliefs? What does supporting SB277 say about future control over our bodies?
Who is to Gain? Who is to Lose?:
Who is really at risk of losing their rights and who is really benefiting? Again, most people are making the choice to vaccinate. But, if people want/don’t want to vaccinate, that should be their right.